Ivan Bergerman | J.D.
Securities / Corporate Commercial / Natural Resources
Following my graduation from the University of Saskatchewan College of Law in the spring of 2002 I moved to Calgary, Alberta with a professional goal to learn how to practice high-end business law. I spent the next four years in Alberta practicing primarily general Corporate Commercial, Securities, M&A and Oil & Gas Law with a major Calgary law firm. In the spring of 2006 I decided to move back home to Saskatoon to continue to practice high-end business law with a major Saskatoon law firm. At this time my practice broadened to include mining and agriculture.
However, being a true entrepreneur, after another four years practicing in a big firm I made the decision to strike out on my own and founded what is now Bergerman Smith LLP, a decision I have never regretted. Working in a small firm has broadened my practice base even further and I have developed what I believe to be an extremely broad skill set. I have listed below my principal practice areas:
I have advised companies listed on the TSX Venture Exchange, Toronto Stock Exchange, CSE, NASDAQ, NYSE and NYSE MKT LLC.
I have assisted clients in completing a number of IPO’s via Long Form Prospectus, Short Form Prospectus, Shelf Offerings, CPC Prospectus Offerings and Short Form Offering Documents and well as have done a number of non-public offerings including Offering Memorandum and brokered and non-brokered Private Placements.
Securities law has always been one of my core practice areas, in addition to the specifics listed above I should also mention that I have practiced all manner of securities laws and have even argued before the director of Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan.
I have bought and sold more businesses and assets than I can remember.
I have put together corporations, partnerships, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships, joint ventures, co-operatives, trusts, not-for-profit corporations and associations.
I have experience with Section 85 rollovers, Section 86 share exchanges, estate freezes, share consolidation, stated capital reductions, creditor proofing, amalgamations and exempt and non-exempt take-over bids.
I have acted for the lender and the borrower in all manner of financings, including due diligence and the preparation and registration of security.
I have advised on farm-ins, joint ventures, leases, licenses, permits, drilling agreements, builder’s liens and title review.
I work with a number of for profit and not-for profit boards. I have drafted internal policies and have advising on a great number of varying board issues.
I still do the basics which includes real estate, wills, estate planning etc.
I like to put deals and projects together and see them through to completion. However, I consider myself to be a business lawyer as well as a business facilitator. I have had my hands in enough business over the years to develop what I believe to be practical business acumen and like to think that I bring more to the table than just legal expertise. There isn’t much that I haven’t seen, though I am always up for the challenge of taking on something novel and new.
Lawyer aside, I have an amazing wife and 3 wonderful kids. The kids are in more activities than I care to mention but needless to say I stay busy both inside and outside the office.
• University of Saskatchewan – BA (Psychology) – Graduated 1997
• University of Saskatchewan – ADV CRT (Sociology) – Graduated – 1999
• Jonkoping International Business College – Exchange Program – August 2001 – Jan 2002
• University of Saskatchewan – J.D. of LAW with Distinction – Graduated 2002
• Prague Film School – Diploma in Filmmaking with Honors – Graduated 2011
• Director and member of audit & compensation committee of Saturn Oil & Gas Inc. (TSXV : SOIL)
• Past Chair and Vice-Chair of the Canadian Bar Association – Securities Law North
• Presenter on Securities Law at the Canadian Bar Association Saskatchewan Mid-Winter Meeting
• Guest lecturer at the Bisset School of Business (Mount Royal College)
• Past President and Chair of the Saskatoon Zoo Foundation
• Former director of a number of community arts groups
• Former martial arts instructor